Tuesday, January 19, 2010

New Semester

So it’s the start of a new semester and with it, at least initially, comes a modicum of excitement. It’s limited, for I know by the end of the semester I’m going to be exhausted and irritated with this wonderful place. But for now, I can enjoy. So it is under my elated mood combined with the pressure that I have come to know all too well that is the deadline, which I write this entry.
For Paideia, I wish to continue on from last semester. I really enjoyed all of our discussions, particularly in their variety, although I also liked that we focused somewhat on science and art towards the end. I really enjoy that subject in particular and thought we had some good discussion on it. I was constantly coming across readings over break that I wanted to share. I’m still not sure which I want to pick for my discussion topic. On this though, I was wondering if there could be a more informal medium for discussion outside of meetings. You wouldn’t need to participate if you didn’t want to I suppose, if you’re meeting the criteria for the actual credit requirements for Paideia. And don’t get me wrong, I have plenty of class work of my own. But knowledge is knowledge and as I said, I came across some interesting stuff in my readings that I thought the group, or some within the group, might be interested. Aside from that, I figure if I’m going to present these interests anywhere, why not do so in the vague, mysterious, and colorful host of knowledge that is Paideia.
It is for this reason that I would like to continue the individually-led discussions, as opposed to abandoning them for picking topics from a single source. I think this generates a richer diversity of topics, while allowing me to do what I want. It is also why I think that some informal blogging might be on the way too. For me, I want Paideia to be an outlet for some discussion. I’ll be thinking quite a bit this semester… metaphysics has that effect I think… and having a place to put ideas is always valuable. By no means do ya’ll have to answer back to these thoughts, but at the same time please do so if you feel inclined. To be honest, I’m not sure if that’s all that should be done in Paideia though. It was last semester and I loved it. I love plain simple discussion, I just thought that this was one of the rare instances where structure in Paideia came through.
I need to meet with Sue Meneke on studying abroad. I want to go this summer, but I’m still not quite sure where. Maybe Greece. I like the idea of a themed program, say philosophy… That would be really badass.
After switching majors, my capstone is now in philosophy and under control, although I still am not sure who it will be with. I’m still planning on researching with Dr. Burks next year however. I cannot escape the lure of the apple snail…

No comments: