Friday, December 4, 2009

Discussions

Discussions:
First of all, I really enjoyed the style in which Paideia was run this semester. I think we should continue in this way, of everyone bringing in readings of interest. This is simply because, to me, it represents what’s greatest about southwestern. It is the epitome of a liberal arts education and, contrary to some, I believe raw discussion in the manner which we conduct it is incredibly useful. Not only that, but Paideia provides me with an outlet to develop and define my intellectual passions. I think it’s organized enough as is for this and reading from a single book, while certainly more convenient, restricts having such a broad and diverse group of readings and therefore a more narrow view of everyone’s passions.
I think it’s wonderful that we can talk about such a wide range of topics as gene-testing to analyzing the role of passion and humor in the educational process to thinking about what it means to be alive. Furthermore, making connections between these things is beneficial as well and I think clearly occurred.
This semester, I really enjoyed Michelle’s and Katie’s readings in particular. We discussed the very notion of science quite a bit and that was personally useful. To be honest however, I feel like I didn’t do a good enough job with Bryson. This is something I need to work on in general. Not only in regards to the basic ability to articulate my ideas, but specifically in articulating what I am passionate about. I get caught up in my own thoughts and too frequently wind up going in circles. That being said I enjoyed talking about Bryson. Both the content of Bryson itself, as well as the discussion we had on his work, brings to the foreground the issue of knowledge and how it is acquired. It made me realize the faults that are often inherent within our educational system. What is the value of academics versus knowledge gained through personal experience? A question I have constantly been asking with regards to my wonderful physics class.
I think that this is how Paideia is most beneficial for me. It allows me to reaffirm or even discard my beliefs that come from both my classes and knowledge I gain through other means. On some level, the fact that there isn’t such an extensive structure within the program in fact enhances this ability. Perhaps then, it’s beneficial to be purely discussion. With that said, and I wrote about this briefly in the last blog, it is absolutely necessary to read before people come. There’s just no point otherwise because that’s all Paideia is right now… readings and discussions.
As perhaps a final side note, I enjoyed our switch to the Cove media room this past semester. Not only do I like couches, but it reaffirms my belief that a classroom in the typical sense is not a requirement for learning.

No comments: